Baltimore protests: 5 women who made headlines after Freddie Gray’s death

1. Marilyn Mosby serves as prosecutor for the trial to determine who is responsible for Freddie Gray’s death. 

“She has a natural affinity for police officers and law enforcement types, and at the same time, she is aware of the incredible number of complaints against the Baltimore City police department,” said Richard Woods, a Baltimore-based attorney whose practice is primarily criminal defense work.

Read more from NBC News: “Meet Marilyn Mosby, the Woman Overseeing the Freddie Gray Investigation” 

2. Deairra Venable, a transgender woman for 16 years, was detained in the men’s quarters of a Baltimore city jail. 

“‘They took away her bra. You can see she has breasts,’ attorney Mirriam Seddiq said. ‘She’s a woman.’”

“A glass panel separated Venable from one of Seddiq’s attorneys on Thursday evening. The two spoke of the other inmates ‘oglin’ at her naked body through a small window after being told to strip for an intake search.”

Read more from NY Daily News: “Trans woman arrested during Baltimore riots, jailed among men: attorney”

3. Toya Graham slaps her 16-year-old son in the head after finding him at a Baltimore protest. 

“He gave me eye contact,” Toya Graham told CBS News. “And at that point, you know, not even thinking about cameras or anything like that — that’s my only son and at the end of the day, I don’t want him to be a Freddie Gray. Is he the perfect boy? No he’s not, but he’s mine.”

Read more from Washington Post: “Why is America celebrating the beating of a black child?” 

4. Saucha Robinson tells the Washington Post about being arrested and detained for two days without receiving formal charges.

“I couldn’t understand why we would still be in hell over 48 hours,” 18-year-old Saucha Robinson said. “The first night we got there, they told us, you know, it would be up to 24 hours.”

5. Marci Tarrant Johnson describes “deplorable” conditions experienced by jailed Baltimore protesters.

“Many had not seen a doctor or received required medication,” Marci Johnson said of the hundreds of people packed into small, concrete cells. “Many had not been able to reach a family member by phone. But here is the WORST thing: not only had these women been held for two days and two nights without any sort of formal booking, but almost none of them had actually been charged with anything.”

Read more from the Baltimore Brew: “Attorney describes civil liberties violations and ‘deplorable conditions’ faced by jailed Baltimore protesters”